Learning Support doesn't just happen in the classroom! We operate throughout the school day.
In the mornings we have:-
- Learning To Be Social– run by Mrs. A. Page
- Exercising Your Brain for Year 7 – run by Ms. S. Tebbits
- A Maths Club for Years 7 and 8 run by Miss. S. Todd for pupils who need support with their numeracy skills
- An ICT reading programme for Year 8 run by Mrs. J. Waller
- An ICT reading and comprehension programme for Year 9 run by Mrs. J. Waller
- Spelling Groups for Years 7 run by Mrs. J Waller
- A paired reading scheme for Year 7 who are paired with Year 12 /13 students run by Mrs. A. Webb
Every lunchtime there is the opportunity to complete homework where help is at hand if required.
The Learning Support classroom is open and staffed every lunchtime from 13.30-14.05 for students who need help with homework, coursework and those who wish to develop social skills in a supportive environment.
There is also access to the internet or the opportunity to use computers to complete work.
Years 7-9 have the opportunity to use integrated learning systems.
Some pupils in Years 10 and 11, follow the ASDAN programme of study. After testing our students, data is forwarded to all of our teaching staff. It is widely acknowledged that students whose reading/spelling age is below 9 years will have difficulties in coping with the secondary school curriculum. Almost all subjects rely to some degree on reading and writing.
The school curriculum for some students in years 8 and 9 allows them some students to study only one Modern Foreign Language, with additional literacy and numeracy support replacing a second language.
For pupils in Year 7, literacy programmes take place before the start of school from 8.35 – 8.55am.