Year 10 ASDAN Award
This course is run for students who would benefit from taking less than 10 GCSE’s. It is run either during the Modern Foreign Languages or Humanities option columns.
The ASDAN Award Scheme offers a flexible, activity based programme for students at KS4 which facilitates the development of personal and social skills within a variety of contexts. Throughout the Scheme the emphasis is on co-operation and collaboration, rewarding achievement and assisting the progression of learning. The Award Scheme endeavours to enable students to have an increased sense of ownership and control of their learning – vital in raising levels of motivation and self esteem. It provides opportunities for students to be involved in:
- The assessment of their own learning
- Setting clear and achievable goals
- Reflecting on their progress
- Summarising achievements and compiling a portfolio of supporting evidence
The Scheme offers a progressive series of awards at Bronze, Silver (Level 1) and Gold (Level 2). Students may also study the Certificate of Personal Effectiveness Level 1 or Level 2. All of these awards have equivalent GCSE status. The Awards develops the Key Skills of:
- Working with others
- Improving own learning and performance
- Problem solving
- Application of Number
- Information technology
which can then be assessed and accredited, and personal achievements formally recognised as specified by QCA.
The Bronze and Silver Award
Bronze and Silver Challenges are presented in one booklet. Challenges are straight forward and can be carried out at school or at home. Goals are set as part of the action planning process.
To achieve the Bronze Award students need to gain 2 FULL CREDITS by:
- Completing the required number of challenges to an agreed standard – signed and dated in the booklet.
- Present an organised file of supporting evidence, including action plans and reviews for the challenges completed – worth half a credit
- Produce a summary of achievement explaining how skills have been developed through the additional challenges.
To achieve the Silver Award or CoPE Level 1 students need to gain 4 FULL CREDITS by: These credits may include 2 credits for achieving the Bronze Award.
- Completing the required number of challenges to the agreed standard – signed and dated in the booklet.
- Present an organised file of supporting evidence, including action plans and reviews for the challenges completed – worth half a credit.
- Complete the key skills profile giving examples of ways the three key skills at Level 1 (working with others, improving own learning and performance, and problem solving) have been met.
To achieve the Gold Award or CoPE Level 2 Students must gain 4 FULL CREDITS. These credits may include 2 credits for achieving the Silver Award. Students need to:
- Complete the required number of challenges
- Complete an action plan for each section
- Record their achievements and review progress with the tutor
- Complete the Key Skills Profile which describes how you have met the criteria for Improving your own Learning and Performance, Working with Others, Problem solving at Level 2
- Present an organised portfolio of evidence which documents your work.
1 Credit is given for action planning, reviewing their progress, recording their achievements in an organised portfolio and completing the Key Skills Profile.